Tony's Hot Pot
A classic and tasty British dish, veggie/vegan style. This uses frozen veggie mince, which is available just about everywhere: Linda McCartney; Asda; Sainsbury;Tesco etc - just avoid Quorn which contains egg and dairy.
Good served with greens (eg broccoli; Brussels sprouts; sauteed shredded cabbage; curly kale) and lightly steamed carrots.
2 large onions, red or white
2 cloves garlic
5 tbsp olive oil
1½ K potatoes
Mixed herbs, fresh or dried
230g (about half a packet) of frozen veggie mince
Salt and lots of fresh black pepper
2 handfuls nutritional yeast flakes (Engevita, from health food shops or online)
570ml/1pint vegan stock - use 2 heaped tsp vegan bouillon like Marigold OR 2 crumbled Green Oxo
1. Thinly slice the onions and garlic cloves. Sweat (very gently fry) in 2 tbsp of the oil until tender. Pre-heat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas Mark 6.
2. Meanwhile, peel and slice the potatoes thinly. If they are large, cut in half lengthways before slicing. Lay them in a gratinee or medium sized lasagne dish until half full.
3. Spread the cooked onion/garlic mixture, herbs and the veggie mince over the potatoes. Season, using plenty of black pepper.
4. Finish layering with the rest of the potatoes and add the stock.
5. Sprinkle the remaining olive oil and yeast flakes over everything.
6. Cook in the hot oven for one hour or until top is golden and the potatoes are tender - test gently with a toothpick or sharp knife. It should be very moist - if not, add a little more stock and cook for another few minutes. Side vegetables can be cooked towards the end of the cooking time - see above for suggestions.
Give us your email address and we'll deliver delicious animal free recipes straight to your inbox each week.
What originally started life as the VVF’s subscription-based vegetarian recipe club, has become a bound, colourful introduction to vegetarian & vegan nutrition, with an emphasis on getting your essential vits through veggies.
Can't find what you're looking for? Ask Jane, our vegan guru!
Do you have a wonderful vegetarian recipe idea?
Got a veggie cookery quandary or vegan dietary dilemma that's not answered here?
Want to know more about vegan nutrition?
Want to find out more about going veggie?
Jane@vegetarian.org.uk or call 0117 9705190.