Quick Thai Yellow Curry with Carrot
A creamy and flavoursome Thai Yellow Curry
2 tbsp vegetable or sunflower oil
2 large shallots, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, crushed
600g/1lb 5oz carrots, thinly sliced
400g/14 oz mushrooms, sliced
1 red pepper, chopped into small medium-sized pieces
150ml/5 fl oz vegetable stock
1 tbsp peanut butter
4 tbsp shop-brought Yellow Curry Paste (check it is vegan as some brands contain fish sauce. Thai Taste is a good brand and widely available)
8 kaffir lime leaves
1/2 tin coconut milk
Lime to finish
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan and add the shallots and garlic. Fry until the shallots have softened.
2. Add in the carrots, mushrooms and pepper and mix in well. Allow the veg to fry for a couple of minutes.
3. Now add the stock, peanut butter and curry paste. Stir well, bring to boil, and then turn down to simmer for around 30 mins.
4. Add in the coconut milk and lime leaves and warm through.
5. Serve with lime juice squeezed over the top, with some of the rind grated over for decoration if you wish.
NB this is the sort of curry that will ‘age’ well and taste even better a few hours later or the day after! Serve with Thai rice.
Give us your email address and we'll deliver delicious animal free recipes straight to your inbox each week.
What originally started life as the VVF’s subscription-based vegetarian recipe club, has become a bound, colourful introduction to vegetarian & vegan nutrition, with an emphasis on getting your essential vits through veggies.
Can't find what you're looking for? Ask Jane, our vegan guru!
Do you have a wonderful vegetarian recipe idea?
Got a veggie cookery quandary or vegan dietary dilemma that's not answered here?
Want to know more about vegan nutrition?
Want to find out more about going veggie?
Jane@vegetarian.org.uk or call 0117 9705190.