Luscious Lemon Slices
These lemon slices include a sugar glaze that looks professional but is really easy to do!
100g/3 1/2 oz vegan margarine, eg Pure or Vitalite
150g/5oz self-raising flour
1 level tsp baking powder
150g/5oz caster sugar
175g/6oz silken tofu (eg Mori-Nu brand, sold in Sainsbury’s, other large supermarkets and health stores)
60ml/4tbsp soya milk
1 lemon, finely grated (or use a lemon zester if you have one)
1 tbsp lemon juice
For the icing:
Juice of 1 lemon
100g/3 1/ 2 oz granulated sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/Gas Mark 4.
2. Grease and line the bottom of a 20cm/8inch square cake tin with greaseproof paper.
3. Put all the ingredients in a food processor and mix for 10 seconds. Scrape down the sides and mix for a further 5 seconds. If you don’t have a food processor, you can whizz the mixture with a stick blender, or very vigorously with a wooden spoon.
4. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 25-30 minutes or until pale golden and springy.
5. Stir together the lemon juice and the sugar for the icing.
6. Spoon this mixture over the cake whilst it is still hot – spread evenly.
7. Leave until cold, cut into slices and then enjoy!
Give us your email address and we'll deliver delicious animal free recipes straight to your inbox each week.
What originally started life as the VVF’s subscription-based vegetarian recipe club, has become a bound, colourful introduction to vegetarian & vegan nutrition, with an emphasis on getting your essential vits through veggies.
Can't find what you're looking for? Ask Jane, our vegan guru!
Do you have a wonderful vegetarian recipe idea?
Got a veggie cookery quandary or vegan dietary dilemma that's not answered here?
Want to know more about vegan nutrition?
Want to find out more about going veggie?
Jane@vegetarian.org.uk or call 0117 9705190.