Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Butter Cream Icing
A simple but tasty chocolate cake recipe that uses maple syrup instead of sugar. Alternatively, try agave syrup which is lower GI.
Make it with either chocolate icing - or make it mocha with the addition of some coffee granules! see below...
170g/6oz self-raising wholemeal flour
170g/6oz self-raising white flour
2 tsp baking powder
60g/4tbsp cocoa powder
220ml/8fl oz maple or agave syrup
2 tsp vanilla essence
120ml/4fl oz plain vegetable oil
450ml/16fl oz soya milk
Butter Cream Icing
75g/2½ oz margarine
75g/2½ oz icing sugar
75g/2½ oz cocoa powder
To make Mocha Icing (Ganache), just add 2½ tsp instant coffee granules to the three ingredients above - dilute coffee in 1-2 tbsp boiling water.
1. Pre-heat oven to 180°C//350°F/Gas Mark 4. Oil two 20cm/8 inch round cake tins and line the bases with baking parchment.
2. Sieve the flour, baking powder and cocoa into a bowl. In another bowl, whisk oil, soya milk, maple syrup and vanilla essence.
3. Pour liquid ingredients gradually into the dry ingredients, whisking gently to make a batter. Pour half cake mixture into each tin. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until a sharp knife/cocktail stick comes out cleanly.
4. Meanwhile, make the icing. Cream the margarine with a fork then add the sieved icing sugar and cocoa powder. Mix thoroughly to form a stiff cream. Place in the freezer or fridge until needed.
5. Let the cakes cool in their tins then loosen edges with a knife (or click open the springform if using this type of tin). Turn the cakes out onto a wire rack. When thoroughly cool, sandwich the cakes with 2/3 of the icing in the middle. Use the remaining third on the top. Decorate with chocolate curls or drops if using.
Give us your email address and we'll deliver delicious animal free recipes straight to your inbox each week.
What originally started life as the VVF’s subscription-based vegetarian recipe club, has become a bound, colourful introduction to vegetarian & vegan nutrition, with an emphasis on getting your essential vits through veggies.
Can't find what you're looking for? Ask Jane, our vegan guru!
Do you have a wonderful vegetarian recipe idea?
Got a veggie cookery quandary or vegan dietary dilemma that's not answered here?
Want to know more about vegan nutrition?
Want to find out more about going veggie?
Jane@vegetarian.org.uk or call 0117 9705190.