Black Bean, Courgette & Olive Chilli Wraps
A quick, easy chilli with the addition of olives - not traditionally a South American ingredient, but it works very well indeed. The dish is adapted from Appetite for Reduction, Isa Chandra Moskowitz's inspiring and healthy cookbook - which also features a really useful nutrition section as well as nice recipes. If you haven't tried black beans before, give them a go - they are also known as turtle beans, but don't mistake them for the black-eyed variety!
Top Tip: try it served with our Sour Creme recipe
1 tsp olive oil or use oil spray
1/4 red onion, chopped quite small
2 courgettes, diced quite small
1/2 green chilli, seeds removed and chopped very small
1/4 tsp salt
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1/3 cup black olives, chopped (a medium handful)
1/2-1 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp coriander powder
1 jar of enchilada or fajita sauce (or other Mexican tomato-based sauce). Discovery brand is vegan and pretty good - and comes with a spice pack on the top so you can omit the recipe spices listed above!
1 tin of black beans or 240g home-cooked - drained and rinsed. Use kidney or pinto beans if you can't find black
Corn tortillas or wheat-based wraps of your choice - use a gluten-free version if appropriate
Tomato salsa - bought or home-made
Chopped avocado - the 'ready-to-eat' variety tend to be more reliable!
Sour creme - try our simple recipe
1. Heat the oil/oil spray in a medium-large saucepan then add the red onion. Gently fry until softened then add the courgette and salt. Cook for several minutes, until the courgette starts to brown.
2. Add the garlic, olives and spices and cook for a couple of minutes more.
3. Add the fajita sauce and black beans. Cook for about 5 minutes until the sauce has absorbed all the flavours.
4. Meanwhile, warm the tortillas or wraps - microwave for half a minute then test and warm through more if necessary - just make sure they don't go hard. Alternatively, wrap in foil and warm in a medium oven for about 10 minutes.
5. Serve the chilli with the wraps on the side and any of the options you like.
Give us your email address and we'll deliver delicious animal free recipes straight to your inbox each week.
What originally started life as the VVF’s subscription-based vegetarian recipe club, has become a bound, colourful introduction to vegetarian & vegan nutrition, with an emphasis on getting your essential vits through veggies.
Can't find what you're looking for? Ask Jane, our vegan guru!
Do you have a wonderful vegetarian recipe idea?
Got a veggie cookery quandary or vegan dietary dilemma that's not answered here?
Want to know more about vegan nutrition?
Want to find out more about going veggie?
Jane@vegetarian.org.uk or call 0117 9705190.