Best Roasted Veg Hummus Topped with Toasted Pinenuts
A lovely variation on an old favourite. For alternative flavours, try different roasted veg (home-roasted, in a jar or frozen), such as courgette or artichoke. It is also great to experiment with different varieties of tinned beans, such as butter beans or mixed beans.
NB some people swear that home-cooked chickpeas make a superior hummus - but it's up to you!
1 jar roasted peppers or a whole red pepper
1 large clove of garlic
1 tin chick peas (drained and rinsed)- OR 240g home-cooked
1 tbsp light tahini (sesame-based paste in a jar)
Juice of 1 lemon
4 tbsp of olive oil
4 tbsp pinenuts
½ tsp paprika
1. Drain half a jar of roasted peppers. If making from scratch, de-seed, chop and then roast a red pepper in an oven, at 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4 for 20 mins and allow to cool.
2. To create a really smooth hummous, simmer the tinned chick peas in fresh water for around 15 mins.
3. Meanwhile, blend all the other ingredients with a hand blender or food processor until they reach your preferred texture.
4. Drain the chick peas and allow to cool before adding them to the mixture and blending further. Add more olive oil or water to adjust consistency if needed plus salt and pepper to taste.
5. To finish, toast the pinenuts under a grill for just a couple of mins (watch them carefully as they can burn quickly).
6. Spoon hummous into a deep bowl, then sprinkle the pinenuts, paprika and a drizzle of olive oil, if desired. Serve with toasted wholemeal pitta bread, rice cakes, raw vegetable sticks - or just about anything you fancy.
Give us your email address and we'll deliver delicious animal free recipes straight to your inbox each week.
What originally started life as the VVF’s subscription-based vegetarian recipe club, has become a bound, colourful introduction to vegetarian & vegan nutrition, with an emphasis on getting your essential vits through veggies.
Can't find what you're looking for? Ask Jane, our vegan guru!
Do you have a wonderful vegetarian recipe idea?
Got a veggie cookery quandary or vegan dietary dilemma that's not answered here?
Want to know more about vegan nutrition?
Want to find out more about going veggie?
Jane@vegetarian.org.uk or call 0117 9705190.