Asparagus and Cheatin' Meaty Spears with Vegan Hollandaise Sauce
A great 'veganiser' recipe... good as a starter or as party food. The Hollandaise recipe can easily be made in larger quantities too. If you aren't keen on rashers, try it with smoked tofu - or just with asparagus. It's also good as a dip for globe artichokes.
Vegan Hollandaise Sauce
3 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 dried bay leaf
40g/generous 1oz silken tofu
125g/4oz vegan margarine, eg Pure, Biona or Suma
1 tsp turmeric Lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste Spears
12 fat spears of asparagus
30g/1oz vegan margarine
1 packet Redwood Cheatin’ Pepperoni-style slices or Ham-style slices
1. Pre heat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
2. Make the sauce. Put the vinegar in a small pan with the peppercorns and bay leaf. Reduce the vinegar over a high heat until there is only 1 tbsp left. Strain the peppercorns and the bay leaf from this reduction.
3. Put the silken tofu in a food processor with the vinegar reduction.
4. Gently melt the margarine so the solids fall to the bottom of the saucepan.
5. Add the turmeric to the food processor. Turn the processor on and slowly pour the margarine on to the tofu with the motor still running. The sauce will start to thicken. When only the margarine solids are left, stop
6. If the sauce is too thick, add a little hot water. Season to taste with salt and pepper and a little lemon juice. Keep it warm while you cook the spears.
7. Cut Cheatin’ slices into strips and wrap around the asparagus.
8. Brush each spear lightly with margarine and bake for 3-4 minutes until lightly roasted.
9. Serve immediately, with the Hollandaise sauce on the side.
Give us your email address and we'll deliver delicious animal free recipes straight to your inbox each week.
What originally started life as the VVF’s subscription-based vegetarian recipe club, has become a bound, colourful introduction to vegetarian & vegan nutrition, with an emphasis on getting your essential vits through veggies.
Can't find what you're looking for? Ask Jane, our vegan guru!
Do you have a wonderful vegetarian recipe idea?
Got a veggie cookery quandary or vegan dietary dilemma that's not answered here?
Want to know more about vegan nutrition?
Want to find out more about going veggie?
Jane@vegetarian.org.uk or call 0117 944 1000 .