Vegan 'Eggs' Benedict
A deliciously sophisticated springtime breakfast, of toasted muffins, topped with scrambled tofu, vegan ‘bacon’ and hollandaise style sauce.
Vegan Hollandaise Sauce
6 pepper corns
1 dried bay leaf
80g silken tofu
125g/4oz vegan margarine
4tbsp white wine vinegar
lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste
1 tbsp olive oil
1 garlic clove
1 tbsp white flour
½ cup soya milk
1 block tofu (200g or 250g) crumbled
3 medium vine tomatoes, finely chopped
1 tsp English mustard
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Muffins & Veggie Bacon
1 packet English muffins
1 packet vegan bacon (eg Redwoods)
Vegan Hollandaise Sauce: 1. Put the vinegar in a small pan with the peppercorns and bay leaf. Reduce the vinegar over a high heat until there is only 1 tbsp left. Strain the peppercorns and the bay leaf from this reduction.
2. Put the silken tofu in a food processor with the vinegar reduction.
3. Gently melt the marg so the solids fall to the bottom of the saucepan.
4. Add the tumeric and turn the food processor on and slowly pour the marg on to the tofu with the motor still running. The sauce will start to thicken. When only the margarine solids are left, stop.
5. If the sauce is too thick, add a little hot water.
6. Season to taste with salt and pepper and a little lemon juice. Set aside to cool.
Scrambled Tofu: 1. Fry the onion and garlic on a low heat until soft.
2. Stir in the flour, followed by the soya milk.
3. Add the tofu, tomatoes, mustard and stir for 3 mins.
Muffins & Veggie Bacon: 1. Slice and toast two muffins and spread lightly with vegan margarine
2. Grill or fry 4 slices of vegan bacon according to packet instructions
To serve: Plate up two muffin halfs on a plate, spoon on scrambled tofu, then top with vegan bacon and a dollop of hollandaise. Serve immediately.
Give us your email address and we'll deliver delicious animal free recipes straight to your inbox each week.
What originally started life as the VVF’s subscription-based vegetarian recipe club, has become a bound, colourful introduction to vegetarian & vegan nutrition, with an emphasis on getting your essential vits through veggies.
Can't find what you're looking for? Ask Jane, our vegan guru!
Do you have a wonderful vegetarian recipe idea?
Got a veggie cookery quandary or vegan dietary dilemma that's not answered here?
Want to know more about vegan nutrition?
Want to find out more about going veggie?
Jane@vegetarian.org.uk or call 0117 944 1000 .