Tabbouleh - Middle Eastern Salad
A beautiful, fresh and tangy Middle-Eastern salad made from bulghur – cracked wheat – that is particularly good with falafel or other salads. The mint and lemon give it a taste of sunshine – and it’s even more delicious if made a few hours beforehand and allowed to marinate in the fridge. If you are wheat intolerant, replace with cooked quinoa or even cooked brown rice. Good as part of a mezze (Middle Eastern platter) eg hummus, baba ganoush, falafel, pitta bread etc
175g/6oz bulgar wheat
325ml/11fl oz boiling water
5ml/1 tsp salt
45ml/3 tbsp olive oil
45ml/3 tbsp lemon juice
1 large clove garlic, crushed
Half a bunch of parsley, chopped (any type)
30ml/2 tbsp fresh mint, chopped
10ml/2 tsp fresh coriander, chopped
Freshly ground black pepper
4 large tomatoes, diced
Quarter of a cucumber, finely diced
1 red pepper, finely diced
Handful of black or green olives, according to taste
1. Put bulgar in bowl and pour on boiling water.
2. Sprinkle with salt and stir.
3. Cover and leave to stand for 20 minutes or until it has absorbed all water and is soft.
4. Drizzle oil and lemon juice over bulgar.
5. Add garlic, herbs and good grinding of black pepper.
6. Add vegetables and mix in.
7. Toss well, cover and chill for as long as possible.
8. Stud with olives and serve.
9. Optional extras: roasted peppers, chopped; grated carrot; chopped avocado.
Give us your email address and we'll deliver delicious animal free recipes straight to your inbox each week.
What originally started life as the VVF’s subscription-based vegetarian recipe club, has become a bound, colourful introduction to vegetarian & vegan nutrition, with an emphasis on getting your essential vits through veggies.
Can't find what you're looking for? Ask Jane, our vegan guru!
Do you have a wonderful vegetarian recipe idea?
Got a veggie cookery quandary or vegan dietary dilemma that's not answered here?
Want to know more about vegan nutrition?
Want to find out more about going veggie?
Jane@vegetarian.org.uk or call 0117 944 1000 .