Nutty Walnut Granola Crunch
Start the day as you mean to go on with this lovely, crunchy-style cereal. Unlike many commercial varieties, it isn’t laden with oil, refined sugar or honey. Serve with a plant milk such as almond, soya or rice - and fresh fruit.
Once cooled, it will keep for ages in an air-tight container stored in a cool place. You could always halve the quantities but this recipe makes oven use worthwhile!
600g/1 pound 5oz rolled oats
150g/5oz barley or brown rice flour
125g/scant 5oz coarsely chopped walnuts
125g/scant 5oz raw sunflower seeds
½ tsp salt
240ml/8 fl oz apple juice concentrate, eg Suma or Rock's
120ml/4 fl oz agave, date or maple syrup (agave is best if you can get it)
2 tbsp rapeseed oil
2 tbsp water
2 tsp vanilla extract
150g/generous 5oz raisins
1. Preheat oven to 170°C/325°F/Gas Mark 3.
2. Combine oats, flour, walnuts, sunflower seeds and salt in a large bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together juice, syrup, oil, water and vanilla.
4. Pour over dry ingredients and mix thoroughly until moistened evenly.
5. Divide mixture between two large oven trays, spreading out into a 2cm/1 inch thick layer.
6. Bake until golden brown, stirring well every 15 minutes – use a timer.
7. Cooking time total 50-60 minutes.
8. Remove from oven and stir in raisins while mixture is still hot.
9. When the granola is cooled completely, store it in airtight containers in the fridge or a cool cupboard.
10. Other options include chopped dates, chopped unsulphured apricots - or any dried fruit of your choice.
Give us your email address and we'll deliver delicious animal free recipes straight to your inbox each week.
What originally started life as the VVF’s subscription-based vegetarian recipe club, has become a bound, colourful introduction to vegetarian & vegan nutrition, with an emphasis on getting your essential vits through veggies.
Can't find what you're looking for? Ask Jane, our vegan guru!
Do you have a wonderful vegetarian recipe idea?
Got a veggie cookery quandary or vegan dietary dilemma that's not answered here?
Want to know more about vegan nutrition?
Want to find out more about going veggie?
Jane@vegetarian.org.uk or call 0117 944 1000 .