Luxury Chocolate Mousse
The Big Mama of all mousses! This is a rich, sophisticated dessert. Depending on your tastebuds and what is available, it can be made with all dark chocolate OR half and half vegan milk chocolate with dark.
Try this on any of your friends who believe that being vegan is about ‘giving up’ and being a martyr… and watch the smiles of pleasure on their chocolate-smeared chops! A little goes a long way, though so serve in tiny little pots. It's good served with berry fruits as a garnish - the colour and tartness gives a lovely contrast. Or try orange zest, as on our photo.
1 pack silken tofu (approximately 330g) available in good supermarkets or health stores.
150g vegan chocolate: use all dark OR 75g each of vegan 'milk' * and dark chocolate
3-4 tbsp maple or agave syrup (agave is available in large supermarkets. It’s a bit like vegan honey) OR just use a bit of fine brown sugar
½ tsp vanilla extract
* Vegan milk chocolate: Moo-free; Organica; Plamil; supermarket free-from dairy-free 'milk' versions
1. Blend tofu and salt until completely smooth and creamy, scraping the sides of the bowl to ensure everything is blended properly.
2. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler. That means that you heat a couple of inches of water to boiling point in a saucepan. Turn the heat down and place a heat-proof bowl over the pan of water, making sure that the bottom of the bowl doesn't touch the base of the pan. Now break the chocolate into chunks and place it in the bowl with the syrup and vanilla extract.
3. Stir gently with a rubber or plastic spatula until the chocolate has completely melted.
4. Add the chocolate mixture to the tofu and blend again, using the spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl, as before. Taste and add more syrup or sugar if necessary and blend again.
5. Refrigerate in individual serving dishes of your choice for an hour or so - little expresso cups look lovely, or nice glasses.
Give us your email address and we'll deliver delicious animal free recipes straight to your inbox each week.
What originally started life as the VVF’s subscription-based vegetarian recipe club, has become a bound, colourful introduction to vegetarian & vegan nutrition, with an emphasis on getting your essential vits through veggies.
Can't find what you're looking for? Ask Jane, our vegan guru!
Do you have a wonderful vegetarian recipe idea?
Got a veggie cookery quandary or vegan dietary dilemma that's not answered here?
Want to know more about vegan nutrition?
Want to find out more about going veggie?
Jane@vegetarian.org.uk or call 0117 9705190.