Five Grain Risotto
A multigrain miracle - gourmet, simple and good for you.
The risotto also freezes well. The risotto goes well with stir fried/steamed veg - and lots of the sauces on this website too. Try Mustard Peanut Sauce; Creamy Orange Tahini Dressing; Miso Ginger Sauce or Cheezy Sauce
1 medium onion, finely diced
1 carrot, scrubbed and finely diced
2 stalks celery, finely diced
980ml/35fl oz vegetable stock
1 tsp dried sage
1 tsp dried thyme
½ tsp dried marjoram
¼ tsp black pepper
1 tsp salt
115g/4oz brown basmati or brown long-grain rice
60g/2oz wild rice
60g/2oz red rice
60g/2oz roasted buckwheat
2 tsp Dijon mustard
2 tsp soya sauce
1. In a medium sized, heavy saucepan, cook onion, carrot, celery and a quarter of the stock over a medium heat until the vegetables are just softened – about 5 minutes.
2. Add the sage, thyme, marjoram, pepper and salt.
3. Add all grains except the buckwheat and stir constantly for about 2 minutes to toast them.
4. Add the Dijon mustard, soya sauce and quarter of the stock.
5. Bring to boil then reduce heat and simmer for at least 30 minutes, adding the buckwheat 15 minutes before end.
6. As liquid boils down, add rest of stock a quarter at a time, until liquid absorbed.
7. Remove from heat and let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
Give us your email address and we'll deliver delicious animal free recipes straight to your inbox each week.
What originally started life as the VVF’s subscription-based vegetarian recipe club, has become a bound, colourful introduction to vegetarian & vegan nutrition, with an emphasis on getting your essential vits through veggies.
Can't find what you're looking for? Ask Jane, our vegan guru!
Do you have a wonderful vegetarian recipe idea?
Got a veggie cookery quandary or vegan dietary dilemma that's not answered here?
Want to know more about vegan nutrition?
Want to find out more about going veggie?
Jane@vegetarian.org.uk or call 0117 944 1000 .