Barley & Mushroom Risotto
Aromatic and with a rich taste, this is a delicious winter recipe! It can also be made with brown basmati rice - just add a little less liquid and don't cook quite so long. Good with a sprinkling of nutritional yeast flakes (Marigold Engevita, sold in health stores). NB. If fresh herbs are not easily available, try combinations of dried. Tarragon goes well with mushroom, for example, so does thyme. Just remember to use half the quantity of dried herbs as they are more intense in flavour than fresh herbs.
2 tsp dried mushrooms - porcini or mixed (not shiitake)
960ml/1.75 pts/ hot vegetable stock. Whether home-made or from vegan bouillon (eg Marigold) it needs to be rich
120ml/generous 4fl oz dry sherry or white wine
1 tbsp olive oil 2-3 shallots, finely diced
1 large clove garlic, crushed
200g/7oz pearl barley
200g/7oz/2 cups chopped mushrooms
2 tsp fresh oregano or marjoram, finely chopped (or 1 tsp dried)
2 tsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
2 tsp fresh chives, finely chopped
Salt and black pepper
1. Soak the mushrooms in about 225ml/8fl oz boiling water for 20-30 minutes.
2. Drain dried mushrooms, reserving soaking liquid. Strain the liquid with kitchen paper and set aside and chop soaked mushrooms with scissors and set aside.
3. Combine stock, mushroom liquid and sherry/wine in a medium saucepan over medium heat and bring to a simmer.
4. In a large frying pan or saucepan, heat olive oil.
5. Add shallots and garlic and cook, until slightly softened - about 1 minute.
6. Add barley and both types of mushrooms and stir until coated with oil.
7. Add half of the hot liquid (stock/sherry mix) and simmer uncovered and stirring frequently until liquid is almost absorbed.
8. Continue adding stock mixture about half a cup at a time.
9. Stir until the liquid is absorbed and the barley tender, for about 30 minutes. (You may not need all the stock.)
10. About 5 minutes before the risotto is finished, add herbs, salt and pepper. Serve hot.
Give us your email address and we'll deliver delicious animal free recipes straight to your inbox each week.
What originally started life as the VVF’s subscription-based vegetarian recipe club, has become a bound, colourful introduction to vegetarian & vegan nutrition, with an emphasis on getting your essential vits through veggies.
Can't find what you're looking for? Ask Jane, our vegan guru!
Do you have a wonderful vegetarian recipe idea?
Got a veggie cookery quandary or vegan dietary dilemma that's not answered here?
Want to know more about vegan nutrition?
Want to find out more about going veggie?
Jane@vegetarian.org.uk or call 0117 9705190.