Red Pepper Hummus with Smoked Paprika
Another Rose Elliot delight. This is a stylish and delicious variation on an old favourite, as well as being super-fast.
See how we made it in our slideshow below - here we used raw peppers instead of jarred.
Gluten-wheat-free if you suitable bread/crackers used or else the raw vegetable sticks option.
2 garlic cloves
425g/14oz can chick peas, drained
Half a 320g jar whole sweet red peppers, drained or just use raw peppers (as in our slideshow below)
1 tsp sugar or maple syrup
Hot pepper sauce, eg Tabasco
¼-½ tsp smoked paprika – available from large supermarkets, delis or health food shops
Coarsely ground or cracked black pepper
To serve Warm pitta bread, crostini or chunks of raw vegetables such as carrot, celery, green pepper
1. Whizz the garlic cloves in a food processor until chopped then put in the chick peas, sweet red pepper and maple syrup or sugar and whizz again.
2. Stir in a drop or two of hot pepper sauce and smoked paprika to taste.
3. Turn the mixture onto a flat plate and smooth the surface.
4. Grind some black pepper coarsely over the top.
5. Serve with strips of warmed pitta bread or other suggested accompaniments.
Give us your email address and we'll deliver delicious animal free recipes straight to your inbox each week.
What originally started life as the VVF’s subscription-based vegetarian recipe club, has become a bound, colourful introduction to vegetarian & vegan nutrition, with an emphasis on getting your essential vits through veggies.
Can't find what you're looking for? Ask Jane, our vegan guru!
Do you have a wonderful vegetarian recipe idea?
Got a veggie cookery quandary or vegan dietary dilemma that's not answered here?
Want to know more about vegan nutrition?
Want to find out more about going veggie?
Jane@vegetarian.org.uk or call 0117 9705190.