This hot and spicy vegan recipe is a delight for anyone who wants to enjoy the delicious experience that is Jalapeño Poppers - filled with a yummy, dairy-free cream cheese. 
340g/12oz jar jalapeno peppers – available in large Asian shops
1 tub Tofutti Cream Cheese or make your own vegan creme cheese 
100g/3oz vegan cheese, grated
½ cup soya milk, in a bowl
½ cup plain flour, in a bowl
100g/3oz breadcrumbs, in a bowl. Paxo make instant golden breadcrumbs that are vegan and work very well with this recipe. This is usually sold next to the gravy granules.
Vegetable oil for frying
Tips: If you have a deep-fat fryer, use it to cook these for a very special treat. If shallow-fried, try steaming the de-seeded chillies for 10-12 minutes first before allowing to cool and stuffing with the cream cheese. 
1. Drain your jalapeno peppers. Steam first to soften - about 5-10 minutes, testing carefully after 5. Cool them then cut the top off each one, before slitting them down one side and removing all the seeds from the inside. Lay them out on a chopping board.
2. Put a teaspoon of Tofutti or your own homemade cream cheese inside each, then take a large pinch of grated vegan cheese and stuff that in too.
3. Once you have stuffed all the peppers, get your popper production line going! Line up a bowl of soya milk, flour and breadcrumbs.
4. Dip each pepper in soya milk, then roll in the flour and place on the chopping board, so they are all lined up ready for the next stage.
5. Put a large frying pan on the hob and heat a generous amount of oil to a medium/high heat.
6. Take a pepper; dip it quickly in the soya milk again before gently rolling it in breadcrumbs so they stick all around its surface. Pop the pepper straight into the hot oil with care. This should be a swift process where the peppers are very gently handled so they retain as much coating as possible. Coat and fry the peppers in batches of six at a time – turning carefully using a spatula or tongs so they all become golden on the outside.
7. Serve immediately, dabbing with kitchen towel to remove any excess oil.