The Most Comforting Soup in the World
1 tbsp olive oil
500g/1lb onions, sliced
750g/1½lb potatoes, peeled and cut into 1cm/½ inch pieces
1200ml/2½ pints water
Freshly grated nutmeg
Salt and freshly grated ground black pepper
1. Heat olive oil in a saucepan.
2. Add onions, cover pan and cook very gently until onions really tender but not browned – about 15-20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, put potatoes in another saucepan with water.
4. Bring to boil and cook until very tender.
6. Then put potatoes with their cooking water and big spoonful of cooked onion into blender or food processor and purée to smooth cream
7. Season to taste with plenty of freshly grated nutmeg, salt and pepper.
8.Reheat gently and serve.